Adult Upgrading & Literacy Program
The Red Crow Community College offers Adult Upgrading and the Niitsitapi Foundational Learning and Literacy Programs offered at both the Standoff and Lethbridge campuses. R.C.C.C. provides cultural and educational courses that assist students and the community in achieving their personal / cultural / academic goals. Our traditional teachings are based on Kainaissinni. Incorporating our culture in the classroom strengthens our Niitsitapi identity.
Our Elders play a significant role within our college; they are involved in curriculum development, professional development, and delivery of lessons with the students. The learning is more meaningful since the Elders are in the classroom; the traditional knowledge is accurate. Adult learners receive credit through Alberta Education. Our Adult Upgrading Program is designed to implement meaningful educational opportunities for all learners, which creates a successful educational journey, a bridge to Niitsitapi Arts & Sciences courses and other Post-Secondary institutions, and / or the workforce. The programs run from September to June of every academic year.
- • Program provides courses that assist students with achieving their academic and cultural goals.
- • Adult learners are enrolled in Alberta Education course credits.
- • Curriculum is delivered by Alberta Education Certified instructors and Blackfoot Eminent Scholars.
- • Funding Sources includes Alberta Works, University & College Entrance Preparatory Program (UCEPP), and Prevocational Training (PVT).
- • RCCC provides books and tuition for students without funding (on-reserve only).
- • Full-time students are expected to meet proficiency levels required to further their educational/employment goals, and/or continue with the literacy program.
- • Literacy Program - 15 participants at each learning centre.
- • Educational Assistants available at both campuses.
Upgrading Student Services
- • R.C.C.C offers a variety of high school credit courses from all disciplines: Math, English, Social Studies, Aboriginal Studies, Computers, Science 10 / 24, Biology 20 / 30, Chemistry 20, CALM, Phys. Ed. 10, and Blackfoot 10 / 20 / 30.
- • Cultural infusion into all Upgrading courses.
- • Fieldtrips to cultural sites with Elders
- • Hot Lunches / Bag Lunches for Students at no cost to the students.
- • Academic and Personal Counselling
- • Cultural Ceremonies
- • Student / Instructor / Educational Assistants Tutoring
- • Students’ Council - Activities
- • Library Services
- • Book Resources / Digital Library Services
- • Computer Lab with 17 Computers / Printing Access / 3 Digital TVs / Class Set of iPads with Ninastako App
Applying to R.C.C.C.’s Literacy / Upgrading Program
- • Alternate Students 19 years as of September 30th of each year
- • Adults learners 19 years and older who have been out of school for a full academic year
- • Alberta Works is funding available; seats are limited.
- • $30 Application Non-Refundable Fee
- • Acuplacer Testing / Interview Process